The State-Local Partnership program provides general operating support and technical assistance for county-designated local arts agencies. The purpose of the program is to foster cultural development on the local level through a partnership between the State and the counties of California. The nature of this partnership includes funding, information exchange, cooperative activities, and leadership.
Funding for general operating support is awarded as a contract between the State-Local Partner grantee and the California Arts Council. State-Local Partner grantees will be expected to:
- Maintain an accessible public office operated by, at minimum, one full-time equivalent (FTE) staff position. In unique situations, exceptions can be made, given that all programs and services are accessible to the public.
- Provide financial support, services, and/or other programming to a variety of arts organizations, individual artists, and the community.
- Prioritize engagement and support for arts organizations, individual artists, and community members representing historically under-resourced communities, especially those residing in the lower quartiles of the California Healthy Places Index.
- In collaboration with the CAC, participate in planning a statewide convening whose primary outcome will be the deepening of equity practices in support of arts and culture organizations and individual artists and culture bearers in every county.
- Administer a county-wide Poetry Out Loud competition – engaging a minimum of two school or community partner organizations – to determine a county champion and provide for the transportation of that champion and the champion’s chaperone to the State Finals competition in Sacramento.
- Host meetings for the CAC as needed.
- Actively promote CAC grant opportunities, including providing in-person and/or online workshops and other technical assistance to applicants and grantees.
- With CAC support, create an action plan to collect robust qualitative and quantitative data regarding communities served as outlined below, and report data possible to collect over the course of the grant activity period to the CAC for program evaluation. The applicant must complete general operating support activities aligned with the program’s purpose by September 30, 2024. Submit a final report on overall program impact no later than 30 days after the end of the grant activity period.