The Department of Agriculture Supports Expansion of Broadband Services to Rural and Economically-Challenged Communities.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers funding to support broadband services to rural, economically-challenged communities where broadband services currently do not exist. The USDA believes the deployment of broadband services on a “community-oriented connectivity” basis stimulates economic development and provides enhanced educational and health care opportunities in rural areas. Applicants are encouraged to consider projects that provide measurable results in helping rural communities build robust and sustainable economies through strategic investments in infrastructure, partnerships, and innovation.
Key strategies include:
- Achieving e-connectivity for rural America
- Developing the rural economy through broadband service integration
- Harnessing technological innovation and integrating such services in rural communities
- Supporting a rural workforce through broadband implementation
- Improving the quality of life by introducing broadband services to underserved populations and communities.