Family Service Association has been a leader among non-profits serving families in need since 1953. Over the years, FSA has responded to the changing dynamics of families.
Our mission is “Building community one family at a time, through compassion, advocacy and comprehensive model services, fostering self-sufficiency and sustainable impacts.”
Summary: The Cook is responsible for the daily preparation of meals for our nutrition sites in a variety of locations and cooking needs ranging from: warming kitchens with limited cooking and serving requirements, to cooking sites that prepare the meal with entrees delivered from a central kitchen and the menu “side” items are prepared and assembled on site, and to our central kitchens where we prepare a high volume of meals for distribution to multiple locations. They also are responsible for working with site volunteers and management of all Agency program documentation.
- Prepares congregate and home delivered meals according to approved menu provided by Program Manager on a daily basis
- Reads menus, estimates needs for each meal, and ensures that adequate supplies are available prior to meal preparation.
- Obtains supplies from storerooms and freezer, ensures that items are prepared, cooked and served in accordance with nutritional standards as required.
- Assists with the weekly inventory and supply ordering per menu requirements
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of site kitchen and/or congregate dining area according to Agency, program, Department of Health, CalOSHA, HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) standards at a minimum
- Maintain nutrition records according to Agency and program requirements
- Supervision and training of all site FSA employees.
- Training, supervision, and documentation of volunteer site participation with the program.
- Responsible for food preparation and serving.
- Prepares written performance evaluation of supervised employees following Agency HR policy
- Document performance deficiencies and counsels staff, setting mutual goals for improvement
- Assist in the Agency CQI (Continuous Quality Improvement) process as needed to improve department success
- Maintains all record keeping and reports required by program and funding source to be maintained in an organized and secured location, following HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) policies/procedures for client confidentiality
- Punctual and regular attendance.
- All other duties as assigned and necessary.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One (1) year cooking experience in the food service industry
- Good communication skills (written & oral)
- Background Fingerprint Clearance
- Drug Test Clearance
- Ability to read and write English and to communicate at the level required for successful job performance.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Current Food Handlers Permit required
- CA Driver’s License and Proof of Automobile Insurance
- Current and Clean DMV Print Out report
The following must be obtained within 90 days of hire and maintained as a condition of employment:
- First Aid and CPR
- Food Safety Managers Certification
Physical & Mental Demands:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds at least a distance of 10 feet
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to deal with the public in a professional manner
- Ability to work with a diverse client population and Agency workforce in a professional and respectful manner.
FSA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.