Family Service Association has been a leader among non-profits serving families in need since 1953. Over the years, FSA has responded to the changing dynamics of families.
Our mission is “Building community one family at a time, through compassion, advocacy and comprehensive model services, fostering self-sufficiency and sustainable impacts.”
The Cook is responsible for the daily preparation of meals for our nutrition sites in a variety of locations and cooking needs ranging from: warming kitchens with limited cooking and serving requirements, to cooking sites that prepare the meal with entrees delivered from a central kitchen and the menu “side” items are prepared and assembled on site, and to our central kitchens where we prepare a high volume of meals for distribution to multiple locations. They also are responsible for working with site volunteers and management of all Agency program documentation.
- Prepares congregate and home delivered meals according to approved menu provided by Program Manager on a daily basis
- Reads menus, estimates needs for each meal, and ensures that adequate supplies are available prior to meal preparation.
- Obtains supplies from storerooms and freezer, ensures that items are prepared, cooked and served in accordance with nutritional standards as required.
- Assists with the weekly inventory and supply ordering per menu requirements
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of site kitchen and/or congregate dining area according to Agency, program, Department of Health, CalOSHA, HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) standards at a minimum
- Maintain nutrition records according to Agency and program requirements
- Supervision and training of all site FSA employees.
- Training, supervision, and documentation of volunteer site participation with the program.
- Responsible for food preparation and serving.
- Prepares written performance evaluation of supervised employees following Agency HR policy
- Document performance deficiencies and counsels staff, setting mutual goals for improvement
- Assist in the Agency CQI (Continuous Quality Improvement) process as needed to improve department success
- Maintains all record keeping and reports required by program and funding source to be maintained in an organized and secured location, following HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) policies/procedures for client confidentiality
- Punctual and regular attendance.
- All other duties as assigned and necessary.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One (1) year cooking experience in the foodservice industry
- Good communication skills (written & oral)
- Background Fingerprint Clearance
- Drug Test Clearance
- Ability to read and write English and to communicate at the level required for successful job performance.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Current Food Handlers Permit required
- CA Driver’s License and Proof of Automobile Insurance
- Current and Clean DMV Print Out report
The following must be obtained within 90 days of hire and maintained as a condition of employment:
- First Aid and CPR
- Food Safety Managers Certification
Physical & Mental Demands:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds at least a distance of 10 feet
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to deal with the public in a professional manner
- Ability to work with a diverse client population and Agency workforce in a professional and respectful manner.