Director of Development
Arrowhead United Way (AUW), located in San Bernardino, is a leading nonprofit organization devoted to strengthening our local communities by investing in the lives and futures of those in need. By operating several direct service programs and collaborating with a network of strong community partners, AUW builds brighter futures for youth and families in the areas of education, health, and financial stability.
- Develop, implement, lead and measure strategically-guided plans to sustain and increase revenue in the following areas: workplace giving, corporate gifts, individual contributions, major gifts, web-based outreach, grants & contracts, planned gifts and events;
- Build, maintain and strengthen relationships necessary for operating an effective workplace- giving program aimed at generating increased levels of revenue on an annual basis;
- Identify, research, and apply best practices in the design and implementation of strategies in order to improve outcomes of workplace-giving and other fundraising efforts;
- Identify potential fundraising events;
- Work with staff and volunteers to identify and secure new partnerships with individuals and companies;
- Develop and implement effective strategies for growing an annual giving-program comprised of contributions from outside the workplace;
- Identify opportunities, relationships and partnerships for new/increased revenue generation and successfully bring those opportunities to fruition;
- Responsible for organization-wide grant and contract management including research, preparation, evaluation, acknowledgement and reporting;
- Serve as a key spokesperson for the organization and must be an effective advocate and communicator in articulating the importance of AUW;
- Play a key role in developing marketing messages, campaigns and materials for effectively communicating AUW’s impact and call to action through printed collateral, website, media relations, social networking and other emerging technologies;
- Provide a continual and enhanced, consistent, and multi-faceted experience for donors and donor organizations, through:
- Grounding in AUW-targeted populations, program goals, and measured program results;
- Engagement with AUW programs for positive individual and/or employee group volunteer experiences;
- Stewardship of each contribution through prompt gift acknowledgment and regular communication displaying the impact of one’s investment in AUW;
- Creation of an ongoing donor experience that reinforces one’s commitment to and ownership in the work being accomplished by AUW;
- Cultivate community support for the campaign through relationship-building and maintenance activities, including contacts with businesses, trade groups/associations, and other organizations;
- Cultivate relationships with other United Way organizations regarding mutual development and communication efforts with customers held in common;
- Build executive-level volunteer leadership and facilitate the involvement of volunteers in workplace giving and community fundraising efforts;
- Analyze, develop, maintain, and expand cost-effective systems enabling AUW to record, track, manage and steward donor data and relationships; and
- Supervise and guide AUW professionals and volunteers in meeting the goals and objectives of the fundraising plan.
- Provide ongoing leadership, training, direction, coaching and supervision for Resource Development staff member, including the assignment of work responsibilities, the timely writing and delivery of performance appraisals;
- Participate in strategic planning and implementation to accomplish AUW’s mission;
- Act as a communications resource, providing year-round visibility for AUW resource development;
- Represent AUW at conferences, functions and speaking engagements throughout AUW service area, presenting a professional image and advocating Community Impact. Develop strategic partnerships with other United Ways, nonprofit organizations, agency leaders and other organizations; and
- Monitor major changes in the marketplace, both philanthropic and economic, and provide strategic direction based on that information.
Evaluation and Measurement Responsibilities
- Evaluate and analyze all resource development efforts and develop appropriate strategies to address and improve results;
- Conduct statistical measurements and analysis of fundraising results and interpret that information to advance all development activities; and
- Evaluate Resource Development staff performance using building and motivational techniques, additional training, and organizational disciplinary protocols as appropriate to continually improve departmental professionalism, performance and to drive results.
Volunteer Development Responsibilities
- Target and cultivate new sources of volunteer leadership throughout the community;
- Develop effective resource development volunteers and loaned representatives by recruiting, selecting, training, coaching, and assessing performance; and
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships, training programs and supervision of key resources development volunteers and donors.
The Director of Development is responsible for developing and implementing multi-year resource development plans that provide the necessary financial resource to achieve the organization’s strategic goals, including providing organizational leadership in the areas of fundraising, management of development staff, implementation of best practices and directing all aspects of individual and institutional giving. This position requires working closely with community individuals and corporations to develop the funding and resources necessary to sustain programs aimed at improving the lives of those in need in the AUW’s service area. This individual must be a strong communicator, effective relationship builder, be results-oriented, and provide vision and leadership in order to fulfill AUW’s mission. This full-time, exempt position reports to the President/CEO.