Domestic Violence Shelter Advocate
Our mission is to provide 24-hour crisis intervention shelter, transitional housing, outreach services, legal services, information, education, and awareness to family violence victims to STOP the Cycle of Abuse.
- Provide direct services to victims of domestic abuse and their children including crisis intervention, safety planning, counseling, advocacy, parenting support, information, and referrals
- Ability to work with a diverse population and provide culturally competent advocacy
- Complete screening process to fill available shelter space
- Complete intake paperwork when new residents enter shelter and provide a tour of the facility in a timely manner
- Communicate shelter guidelines and expectations to residents as outlined
- Facilitate cooperative living, peer support, and residents’ participation in shelter programming. Actively promote positive, nurturing interactions between adults and children in shelter
- Supervise, monitor and document resident behaviors to assure resident’s needs are met.
- Responsible for record-keeping; individual files, logs (including but not limited to donations, items issued, service requests, medication, telephone logs), and all other necessary forms including recording statistics and keeping updated files on APRICOT. Maintain and update client files regularly to provide timely data collection and reporting.
- Assist with the daily living needs of shelter residents, including access to phone, food, medications, and personal care items
- Provide case management to residents and participate in a team-oriented approach to case management
- Staying informed of residents progress by continually reading documentation, case management notes and other pertinent documents.
- Maintain shelter office space: keep office and pantry clean, stock personal care supplies for residents, photocopy necessary forms, create new resident files.
- Ability to perform physical tasks: move objects, bend, lift up to 20 pounds, and walk up and down stairs repeatedly.
- Ensure the cleanliness and safety of the shelter facility; perform routine chores and cleaning tasks to ensure the safety and cleanliness of the facility
- Complete house security checks as assigned on your shift
- Interact with shelter residents utilizing a trauma informed care approach
- Take appropriate steps to deal with emergency situations with the goal of maintaining the safety of all residents
- Adhere to agency policies and procedures including confidentiality, child abuse reporting, and code of ethics.
- Maintain professional boundaries
- Promptly address difficulties or problems that arise.
- Utilize non-violent conflict resolution and use non-violent forms of guidance