HICAP Operations Coordinator
The Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) is a program of the Council on Aging-Southern California (COASC), a non-profit corporation serving older adults and individuals with disabilities since 1973. The mission of COASC and HICAP is to promote the independence, health, and dignity of older adults through compassion, education, and advocacy.
HICAP is a volunteer-based program that benefits older adults and persons with disabilities. The goal of this
program is to provide objective counseling, advocacy, and assistance with Medicare, health insurance, and
related health coverage plans for Medicare beneficiaries, and to educate the public on Medicare and health
PURPOSE OF WORK: To provide administration, leadership, and supervision of the HICAP office operations.
Implement policies and procedures as assigned by Program Manager. Coordinate and build a strong work
relationship with other departments.
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Supervision of Call Center and Operations staff. Oversee work relationship between Call Center volunteers and other departments.
REPORTING TO: HICAP Program Manager – San Bernardino County
JOB FUNCTIONS (Including but not limited to):
• Successful completion of State HICAP registration requirements (training in Medicare and related subjects that
• Client case management including documentation and submission of required records when due.
• Provide telephone, remote, and in-person counseling.
• Assign and monitor monthly operational tasks: mailers, office reports, and materials upkeep to office staff.
• Ensure call center is well functioning with adequate coverage of staff and volunteer counselors.
• Assure ongoing compliance with quality and contract requirements.
• Track Call Center, Operations and Low-Income Assistance data through utilization of spreadsheets and
• Document internal audits and other quality assurance activities.
• Assist Program Manager with client case review.
• Ensure intake data accuracy for HICAP services completed.
• Assist Program Manager with administrative responsibilities as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned by Program Manager to support volunteers and operational needs.