HICAP Volunteer Coordinator
The Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) is part of a private, nonprofit corporation, called the Council on Aging-Southern California (COASC), serving older adults and individuals with disabilities since 1973. The mission of COASC and HICAP is to promote the independence, health, and dignity of older adults through compassion, education, and advocacy.
HICAP is a volunteer-based program that benefits older adults and persons with disabilities. The goal of this program is to provide objective counseling, advocacy, and assistance with Medicare, health insurance, and related health coverage plans for Medicare beneficiaries, and to educate the public on Medicare and health insurance issues.
PURPOSE OF WORK: Provide HICAP volunteer counselor training to prospective and registered volunteer HICAP
counselors; identify the strengths and weaknesses of the training program, develop curriculum for the development of
prospective and registered volunteers, and conduct training programs.
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Working in collaboration with the HICAP Program Manager to identify Medicare learning
needs, develop educational lesson plans, develop processes while providing oversight to ensure high quality call
center service, and conduct training sessions for volunteers.
JOB FUNCTIONS (Including but not limited to):
• Create and implement volunteer recruitment and program strategies to expand volunteer service areas.
• Assist with screening process for potential volunteers to ensure no conflict of interest and recommend volunteers
for HICAP counselor training.
• Develop training materials for new volunteer counselor training and provide ongoing education to bridge gaps
in Medicare knowledge, counseling skills, and accuracy of intake data on an ongoing basis.
• Attend recruiting events in both Riverside and San Bernardino Counties to promote qualified candidates.
• Work with other senior-related and volunteer organizations to increase volunteer base.
• Provide a minimum of (4) new counselor trainings annually and ongoing monthly continuing education.
• Responsible for the Volunteer Department Counselor activity data, ensuring client intakes and volunteer public
and media event data is reported accurately and on-time.
• Number one priority is to be responsible for the Volunteer Department’s retention, recruitment, and training
• Oversee volunteer certification and recognition, and coordinate new and continuing education curriculum for
volunteer trainings aligned with Operations.
• Develop volunteer communications including regular newsletters and social media posts; highlighting
volunteer opportunities based on program needs.
• Ensure volunteer records are maintained and updated documentation is obtained in a timely manner.
• Responsible for volunteer registration records; ensure registration requirements are documented and updated.
• Maintain and monitor volunteer counseling and non-counseling hours to ensure no volunteers fall below yearly
mandatory hours requirement for counseling and continued education.
• Oversee volunteer development across all service areas; establish and maintain counseling sites in assigned
• Provide input to assist the Program Manager in preparation for annual volunteer counselor reviews.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor. May be required to work a flex schedule for weekend or after hour assignments and/or presentations