Street Outreach Advocate – San Bernardino
Since 1985, Family Assistance Program (FAP), formally known as High Desert Domestic Violence Program (HDDVP) has been providing shelter and advocacy services to victims of domestic violence (DV).
Throughout the years, the agency has grown into so much more. We now have a much larger shelter, a transitional housing program, a separate outreach office, satellite offices in the cities of San Bernardino and Fontana, and we have embarked on several new programs: two runaway/homeless youth shelters, a homeless youth street outreach team , youth drop-in centers, Next Step re-entry program, community centers, anti-human trafficking program, and other programs and services to support the needs of our Victor Valley, San Bernardino, and Morongo Basin communities.
• Job requires weekly stops at bus stations, local malls, and community centers located at parks and other areas where street youth congregate. • Attend community fairs to promote awareness of the agency programs and meet with street youth to build relationships of trust for referrals for service. • This position will work on the streets as well as spend time at the emergency shelter transitional living programs to ensure the seamless transition of youth that are leaving the streets. • Other duties as assigned.
• Two years of experience with youth services agency. • Excellent oral and written communication skills; Computer and word processing skills. • Must have reliable transportation to provide services listed above. • Fingerprinting, law enforcement, and child protection background checks required; and a clean DMV record and current California Driver’s License.
Must have at least your first dose of the Covid Vaccine.
Provide street-based crisis intervention services, gateway services, referrals, and crisis supportive counseling to homeless youth on the streets.
• Teach risk reduction strategies and coping skills to youth on the streets.
• Provide support in transitioning youth into a stable living environment.
• Ensure safety by conducting outreach with outreach team.
• Work closely with all street youth who voluntarily enter into the Family Assistance programs.
• Complete daily time cards.
• Record keeping will include weekly reports to be given to the Outreach Program Manager.
• Maintain clean driving record, keep company vehicle clean and report maintenance issues/auto repair issues to agency in written form.
• Complete mileage log as applicable for driving between sites during outreach activities.